First Tee — Utah at Southgate
Address: 1975 Tonaquint Dr, St. George, UT 84770
2021 Fall Sessions:
PLAYer (Age 6-10) Thursdays, August 26-October 14, 4:00-5:00 PM $125 per child
PLAYer (Age 11-14) and Par (All Ages) Thursdays, August 26-October 14, 5:00-6:00 PM $125 per child
(NOTE: Registration limited to 20 spots per class. )
Parents: Please read the following before registering your child.
- We will limit our class size to 20 kids. This will allow us to spread the kids out more in the space we have available. If demand exceeds the 20 spots we will open a new session.
- Class times for all programming will be reduced from 90 minutes to 60 minutes to maintain better attention and participation results from the children.
- August 26 – Thursday – Orientation & Respect, 9 Core Values, 9 Healthy Habits
- September 2 – Thursday – Review Core Values, Healthy Habits and Respect
- September 9 – Thursday – Courtesy & Responsibility
- September 16 – Thursday – Honesty & Sportsmanship
- September 23 – Thursday – Confidence & Good Judgement
- September 30 – Thursday – Perseverance & Integrity
- October 7 – Thursday – Review All 9 Core Values
- October 14 – Thursday – Core Value Testing, Putting Course Certification, and Wrap Up Party.
Please help us make First Tee classes at Southgate a wonderful experience for your children by preparing the following:
- Please bring clubs for each child. If your child needs clubs please let us know in advance of the first class so we can make arrangements prior to class. First Tee— Utah lends clubs from its club library free of charge to First Tee kids who need them.
- Please bring water for your child.
- Please dress your child in weather-appropriate athletic clothes, including athletic shoes or golf shoes. No spikes otherwise, please. It is helpful if they have pockets for tees, ball markers, and such. We advise that the kids wear hats and sunscreen.
- Please have your child use the restroom prior to the start of class.
Your child’s safety is our first and constant priority. We set up safety zones for all activities and include safety zone instructions and reminders in all activities with the children. We conduct background checks and child safety training for our coaches annually. Please help us contribute to everyone’s safety by bringing a mask for each child and asking them to wear it during the class. This will make it both safer and more natural for us to get in close to show proper golf movements and positions. Coaches will be wearing masks.
We welcome and invite each of you to participate as a volunteer assistant coach. You do not need to be a good golfer or an experienced teacher. We’ve got that covered. We need your help providing supervision for the kids. If you love the kids and can help them feel safe and supported you’ve got what it takes. A little golf experience or knowledge is an added bonus. If you would like to volunteer we will conduct a background check and provide some online training that takes about 2-3 hours to complete. Please call Rob at 440.339.1183 if you are interested.
Finally, we will communicate with parents via Facebook and Instagram. This is where we will update you on class activities and any schedule changes because of weather and such. We also will share pictures of your kids. Please take a quick moment to like or follow the “First Tee — Utah at Southgate” on either Facebook and Instagram.
Thank you for your support of First Tee — Utah at Southgate. We are grateful for you and excited to be working with your kids again.
Online REGISTRATION PROCESS!!! PLEASE READ
We use an online registration portal. Please follow the steps below.
Step 1: After clicking on the Register button below, click on the LOG IN button in the top left corner. Log in or create a new account. (Returning users should use the same email address used in past registrations.)
Step 2: Register your child for your desired class by adding the class to the cart.
Step 2: Once you add your child(ren) to the cart, click PROCEED TO CHECK OUT.
Step 3: Continue the registration by filling out the participants contact information and answering the questions.
Step 4: Checkout and pay for all sessions and all children you are registering all at once.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?
First Tee — Utah will never turn a child away from our Life Skills Experience Programs for the inability to pay. We work with families so their child may participate in our programs.
ONLINE PROCESS!!! Please Read
Applying for Financial Assistance is part of the registration process. Please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Register your child for your desired class by adding the class to the cart.
Step 2: Once you add your child(ren) to the cart, click PROCEED TO CHECK OUT.
Step 3: Continue the registration by filling out the participant’s contact information and answering the questions. When you get to the Financial Aid Page, please click that you would like to apply. Answer the questions and click continue.
Step 4: Select the participant(s) that you would like to receive consideration for aid. A notification will be sent to the First Tee — Utah staff and we will review and approve your request.
Step 5: Upon approval you will receive an email with directions to complete your registration. Please note you ONLY have 48 hours to log back in and finalize. If you do not log back in, your registration will be voided, your child’s space will be released, and you will need to start the process over.
The First Tee as a nationwide organization will now be asking the following mandatory questions as part of our registration process for anyone who wants a scholarship for their child:
- What is your household income?
- Are you receiving free or reduced lunch?
- How many people are in your household?
- Are you experiencing a financial hardship?
- How much are you able to pay (if any)?
This data is for statistical purpose only and helps us in securing grants to provide scholarships. Your answers will not impact your request for a scholarship as it is still our policy at First Tee — Utah to grant a scholarship to anyone who asks.
Financial Assistance is valid for the session you apply. You must apply for financial assistance each session.
First Tee Program Progression:
From age 7 through 17, youth progress through levels by demonstrating the First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee it up for the first time and learn the game of golf and the First Tee’s Code of Conduct. PLAYer fosters an appreciation for the course, the equipment, the rules and proper etiquette. The emphasis is on Playing the game, Learning the game, Appreciating the game and finding Your game.
- Par (Must be PLAYer certified. Recommended minimum age 9) – PAR emphasizes interpersonal communication and self-management skills. Participants learn how to introduce themselves, respect others and keep a positive attitude while learning something new. Participants are introduced to life skills through basic golf skills, rules, and etiquette.
- Birdie (Must be Par certified. Recommended minimum age 11) – The Birdie level introduces the idea of looking toward the future and setting goals. PLAYers develop a solid understanding of their current circumstances and skill set, future dreams and aspirations, techniques to adapt to changing circumstances and overcome challenges which may impede their path to success, and how to create effective goal ladders for future success.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
Parent Orientation. Parent Orientation provides parents with an in-depth introduction to the philosophy of the First Tee and helps the parent understand the progression path for children in the program.